Radio Information

  

Babylon Fire Department Radio Identifiers

1-2-0: Headquarters Base Radio

1-2-1: Engine (Argyle Hose Co.)

1-2-2: Pickup Truck (Utility)

1-2-2A: Sumpwams Hose Antique Apparatus

1-2-3: Engine (Sumpwams Hose Co.)

1-2-4: Beach Engine (Electric Hose Co.)

1-2-5: Engine (Electric Hose Co.)

1-2-6: Engine (Phoenix Hose Co.)

1-2-6A: Phoenix Hose Antique Apparatus

1-2-7: Heavy Rescue (Fire Patrol Co.)

1-2-8: Tower Ladder (Hook & Ladder Co.)

1-2-9: Passenger Van (Utility)

1-2-10: Ambulance (Rescue Squad)

1-2-11: Passenger Van (Utility)

1-2-12: Fire/Rescue Boat (Marine Unit)

1-2-14: High Water Rescue Vehicle

1-2-17: EMS Bicycle (Rescue Squad)

1-2-18: EMS Bicycle (Rescue Squad)

1-2-30: Chief of Department

1-2-31: 1st Assistant Chief

1-2-32: 2nd Assistant Chief

1-2-33: 3rd Assistant Chief

1-2-51: Argyle Hose Captain

1-2-53: Sumpwams Hose Captain

1-2-55: Electric Hose Captain

1-2-56: Phoenix Hose Captain

1-2-57: Fire Patrol Captain

1-2-58: Hook & Ladder Captain

1-2-61: Argyle Hose Lieutenant

1-2-63: Sumpwams Hose 1st Lieutenant

1-2-65: Electric Hose 1st Lieutenant

1-2-66: Phoenix Hose Lieutenant

1-2-67: Fire Patrol Lieutenant

1-2-68: Hook & Ladder 1st Lieutenant

1-2-73: Sumpwams Hose 2nd Lieutenant

1-2-75: Electric Hose 2nd Lieutenant

1-2-78: Hook & Ladder 2nd Lieutenant

1-2-80: First Responder (Rescue Squad)

1-2-8x: Advanced Life Support Provider

 

Town of Babylon/Misc. Radio Identifiers

1-0-0: Dispatcher (Babylon Central Fire Alarm)

1-0-x: Town of Babylon Fire Coordinators

1-0-4x: Town of Babylon Fire Marshals

1-1-x: Amityville Fire Department

1-2-x: Babylon Fire Department

1-3-x: Copiague Fire Department

1-4-x: Deer Park Fire Department

1-5-x: East Farmingdale Fire Department

1-6-x: Lindenhurst Fire Department

1-7-x: North Amityville Fire Company

1-8-x: North Babylon Vol. Fire Company

1-9-x: West Babylon Fire Department

1-10-x: Wyandanch Fire Company

1-11-x: North Lindenhurst Fire Department

1-20-x: Wyandanch-Wheatley Heights Ambulance Corps.

1-22-x: Republic Airport ARFF

3-17-x: West Islip Fire Department

FC-x: Suffolk County Fire Coordinators

 

Radio Frequencies

472.3000 MHz (PL 88.5): Town of Babylon UHF East *Primary - used for truck to truck and EMS*

472.3750 MHz (PL 94.8): Town of Babylon UHF West

475.1250 MHz: Town of Babylon UHF Fireground *Operations*

46.34 MHz: Town of Babylon F-1 *Secondary*

479.8250 MHz: 46.34 MHz to UHF Crossband

46.38 MHz: Town of Babylon F-3

46.46 MHz: Countywide Dispatch

472.1250 MHz (PL 77.0): Town of Babylon UHF Dispatch (Simulcast of 46.46)

 

The above is a list of frequencies that we operate on.  A full list of all Town of Babylon/Suffolk County frequencies can be found HERE 

 

          With the advent of the 1960’s, a new awareness of the importance of advanced emergency care was sweeping the nation.  Babylon Village had an ambulance service run by various organizations for many years, but it was little more than a transportation service to the local hospitals.  It was determined that a trained Rescue Squad was definitely needed.  The Fire Department with its sophisticated alerting system and abundant manpower was the logical choice to establish and operate such a squad.

          On December 5, 1960, the first organizational meeting was held and Ex-Captain Oliver Davison of the Sumpwams Hose Company was elected the first Squad Leader.  The Squad went into service on September 15, 1961, manning a new Superior Rescue ambulance built on a Cadillac chassis.  In its first full year of operation the Squad responded to 162 calls.  Today, however, the Rescue Squad is by far the busiest unit of the Department responding to approximately 1,600 calls annually.

  • In 1976 a modular Horton ambulance on a Chevrolet chassis was put into service.  

  • In 1984, the Squad put into service a modular Horton 500 ambulance which was fully equipped with the most advanced life support and extrication equipment.  

  • In 1991 a state of the art Blue Star ambulance on a Ford F350 chassis was put into service.

  • In 1996 a modular Horton ambulance on a GMC 3500 chassis was put into service. 

  • In 2006 a modular Horton ambulance on a Ford E-350 chassis was put into service.

  • In early 2010, the Rescue Squad was honored by the Babylon Rotary Club with a Paul Harris Fellowship Award at its annual Recognition Luncheon for outstanding service to the residents of the Village of Babylon.

  • In June 2010, Babylon's first-ever First Responder Vehicle was placed into service as unit 1-2-80.  The vehicle was a 2002 Dodge Durango which had previously served as a chief's vehicle from 2002 to 2010.  In July 2012, the 2002 Durango was given to the Code Enforcement Department and replaced by a 2004 Durango which had previously served as a chief's vehicle from 2004 to 2012. 

  • In February 2017, a modular Horton ambulance on a 2016 Ford E450 chassis was put into service as well as a 2007 Chevy Tahoe aquired from another agency to replace unit 1-2-80.

          The Rescue Squad is manned around the clock by its membership.  Each member of the Squad is assigned to a specific crew which rotates assignments on an established schedule and is trained in first-aid and CPR.  Many members are Emergency Medical Technicians and Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians.

          In addition to providing Rescue coverage to the Village and Beach Protection Districts, the Squad also has been involved with several other activities.  It supplies standby coverage for all home High School football games and several other events such as the Village Fair, Snapper Derby, Greek Epiphany, and Marathons.  Several drills also have been held with the U.S. Coast Guard, Suffolk County Police Department, and neighboring fire departments.

          Over the years the Squad has responded to thousands of calls that have encompassed just about every type of medical emergency.  Many infants have been brought into this world by the caring members of the squad.

          The Rescue Squad is the only unit of the Fire Department that responds to every type of alarm handled by the department.  It has been recognized over the years for the fine service it provides by generous donations by the Babylon Lions Club.

          The Babylon Fire Department Rescue Squad takes great pride in the fine record it has had over the last 40 years and looks forward to providing the best emergency service possible to the community for many years to come.

  

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 


1997 Simon-Duplex/Saulsbury

 The Fire Patrol Company No. 1 is the youngest company of the Babylon Fire Department.  Its charter meeting was held on January 5, 1931 when seven interested and concerned men formed a unit that would provide a greater measure of safety and surveillance at fire scenes.  The charter members were Edward Ward - Captain, Charles Gaffga, Joseph Ford, E.H. Southard, Ellis Wilmont, W. Pearsall, and N. Pearsall.  Originally there was a minimum age of 25 required to join the company in order to foster a "more mature" membership, which lasted until 1975 when the age requirement was reduced to 18.

The first vehicle provided to the Fire Patrol was the REO truck formerly used by the Electric Hose Company and the primary duties were traffic control, maintaining fire lines, and assisting other companies as needed.

In 1935 a Diamond "T" truck, fitted with floodlights and a portable generator was delivered.  At this point, the character and purpose of the company was established.  This apparatus served well for the next twenty years.  During this period the company members provided lighting, crowd control, traffic direction, and an added level of safety for our firefighters and civilians alike.

From 1953 until 1979 a Ford truck equipped with large incandescent floodlights served the company. This apparatus provided powerful lighting, was equipped with ventilation equipment, auxiliary tools, and salvage equipment for additional operations.  In 1975 the truck was equipped with Scott Air Paks.  Fire Patrol responsibilities were expanded with these additional capabilities, a trend that still continues today.  In addition to allowing for more effective appraisals and attacks at fires, the Fire Patrol could now play a more active role in incident operations. 

In 1979 the Fire Patrol petitioned and defended successfully, the belief that a new truck was needed and deserved.  In August 1980, a 1979 GMC Grumman-built, 4-wheel drive utility style truck was purchased for the company.  The vehicle was equipped with floodlights, generator, compressor, and a Scott Air cascade system which allowed for SCBA units to be re-filled at an incident, extending the operating time for firefighters. This allowed for increased interior search and fire suppression capabilities for the whole department.

In 1982 a Hurst tool complete with hydraulic pump, spreader, and ancillary parts was provisioned.  1-2-7 now carried the "Jaws of Life" and was capable of performing extrication operations.  The members trained hard and competed in J.O.L.T. to hone their skills.  The Company’s primary role had slowly morphed from one of incident control, lighting, and salvage to that of an active heavy rescue unit.    

With expanded rescue operations in mind, an order for Vetter air bags was placed in September of 1986. The units were delivered, members trained, and the equipment was put in service by November of 1986. This equipment enabled 1-2-7 to respond to and support lifting operations such as collapses, heavy vehicle incidents, and railroad accidents. In 1989 large fire extinguishers were installed on the rear tailboard.

In 1993, the Fire Patrol successfully petitioned the Board of Wardens for a replacement for the GMC.  After several years of committee work by dedicated members of the company, the current apparatus, a 1997 Saulsbury Heavy Rescue Truck was delivered in April of 1998.  The truck is equipped with a 10-Man Crew Cab, a 9,000 Watt telescoping quartz light tower, a 12.5 KVA PTO Generator, an Inflatable Rescue boat with outboard motor, an on-board air supply for pneumatic tools, and a full complement of heavy rescue tools and equipment.  The Fire Patrol has become the Heavy Rescue unit that responds as a truck company to all incidents, but is first due at motor vehicle accidents and special technical operations. The company takes pride in this role and trains aggressively to maintain their expertise.

Since 2002, 1-2-7 has seen many new equipment additions including a basic life support bag and AED, a stair chair, a new Hurst O-cutter, a gas powered K12 saw, a Class D extinguisher, new Scott 4.5 Air Paks, a thermal imaging camera, a new Hurst air bag system, a new spill kit, and a full complement of cordless power tools.  In addition to the time spent training and responding, the company spends time researching and investigating new rescue techniques and tools to ensure our response abilities meet the latest needs of the community.

 

1979 GMC/Grumman

 1953 Ford

 

The Marine Unit, the Babylon Fire Department's newest organization, was organized on October 12, 2005 under the direction of Chief Jeffrey C. Weber.  The Marine Unit was deemed necessary as the need for fire and rescue protection for the waterfront of the Village of Babylon and Town of Babylon’s barrier islands became more apparent. 

Firefighting from a boat was not completely new to the Babylon Fire Department.  Over the years the department has owned a wooden rowboat and 8 foot inflatable raft, however this was the first time an organization was formed for the sole purpose of marine firefighting and rescue.

A committee of experienced firemen with boating experience was formed to convert a retired Bay Constable boat donated by the Town of Babylon into a fire boat.  The committee took the challenge and completely restored the 24 foot Privateer.  During the restoration the committee completely stripped the boat down to a bare minimum.  Among the many challenges to the boat were fiberglass restoration, adding a new gas tank, and rebuilding the deck and pilothouse.  A 225 HP Evinrude outboard motor was rebuilt and installed.  Most of the items installed on the boat were either donated by other organizations, used equipment, spare equipment, or purchased through grants.  A 450 GPM pump was purchased and installed on the stern with a 3 ½ inch standpipe deck gun nozzle installed on the bow.  This enabled the boat to shoot water longer distances at a safer distance from danger.

On October 27, 2005 unit 1-2-12 was launched at the Village boat ramp and placed into service.  In Winter 2006 the Marine Unit was put to the test when it was called to Amityville for a large brush fire on an uninhabited island.  The Marine Unit was able to pump water on the fire and keep it under control.  The Marine Unit has operated at several house fires on barrier islands, boat fires and brush fires on the Great South Bay, rescued boaters after accidents, and assisted the Rescue Squad by bringing patients to shore.  The Marine Unit has been an integral part of keeping the waterfront homes and recreational boaters of the Village of Babylon safe.

The Marine Unit is comprised of members from each of the six companies, each member has successfully taken a boating safety course as well as fireboat training classes.  The first officers were Co-Captains Richard Santos and [Ex-Chief] Robert Kraft Jr.  Other officers have included Frank D. Bustamante, Joseph Fraccalveiri, Eric Price, and Robert Fredericks.

 

1-2-12 being launched for the first time

 

 

 

 

 

Unit 1-2-5

 

Unit 1-2-4

The Electric Hose Company No. 4 has been providing continuous service to the Village of Babylon for over 100 years.  The Electric Hose has become the fifth company in the Department to reach this milestone.  Founded on April 4, 1902, the company took their name from its proximity to the old electric company on Cedar Street.

One of the major responsibilities of the Babylon Fire Department is to provide efficient rescue and fire protection to the various beach communities in the Town of Babylon along the Ocean Parkway.  The Electric Hose prides itself on being the primary response unit for all beach alarms.

Since its inception, the company has been quartered at three different stations on the same site at the corner of Cedar Street and Cooper Street, the most recent being erected in 1961.  In the beginning, the property, the firehouse, and apparatus were all owned by the company and not  the Village.  Residents living north of the railroad had to pay a special fee to keep the company operational.   Eventually, the company’s assets were deeded directly to the Village, which has maintained it to this day.

The E4 House has served as quarters for hand-drawn pieces of apparatus that later gave way to horse-drawn variety, and eventually in 1922, the first motorized pumper.  In 1961, the firehouse was completely renovated to reflect the neat one story brick architecture that appears today.  It is configured with a meeting room, kitchen, and two-bay truck room.  In September 1983, fire erupted in the unoccupied truck room causing considerable damage to the building.  Luckily the fire was extinguished and both the building and the trucks were back in service the next day.

Until 1910, all of the company’s firefighting apparatus was hand-drawn.  Later, teams of horses were introduced to provide quicker response, and were used exclusively until the first motorized REO wagon was launched into action in 1922.  The first motorized pumper, an American LaFrance was purchased in 1931.  Since 1948 the Electric Hose has operated two pumpers out of the E4 House, designated as units 1-2-4 and 1-2-5.

A 1954 International pumper eventually replaced the 1931 American La France after it was involved in a severe accident at the intersection of Higbie Lane and Sunrise Highway in West Islip.  Then in 1969, a new 1000 GPM  Ward La France was delivered and served as unit 1-2-5.  In 1974, the old Dodge 1-2-4 was replaced by a new four-wheel drive International pickup truck with a front mounted 750 GPM pump, making it ideal for beach operations because it could be driven to the waters edge to secure a water supply.  In 1985 unit 1-2-5 was replaced by the current apparatus, a Pierce Arrow pumper.  In 1993, unit 1-2-4 was struck by an auto while responding to an alarm at the intersection of Cooper Street and East Main Street, and prematurely retired from service.  It was replaced with a Ford F-350 that had the same front-mounted pump.  In 2007 the F-350 was replaced by a custom built F-650 Firematic “Brute” beach engine that far exceeds the capabilities of the pickup.  The unit features four wheel drive, super single tires in the front and rear, a front mounted pump, a booster tank, and Scott 4.5 Air Paks.